The month of May brings us a very important time in your child’s educational future. Prime Time offers you a special, individual time to sit down with your child’s teacher and review the past year’s experiences, goals, and progress. It is so important to share thoughts, ask questions, communicate concerns, and strengthen this beneficial partnership!!!!
For our Prime Time staff it is a time to share information, find out more about your child’s strengths and personality, and demonstrate their expertise and professional opinion.
For our Parents, this is a time to support the staff members who have daily contact with your child, listen carefully and ask lots of questions. Value this information and hear a different perspective about the child you love and care so much about.
Together as partners, you can get to know each other better, create an accurate picture of your child’s development and develop goals for his/her future. It is truly beneficial to all those involved and a WIN-WIN for your child!!!
HELPFUL HINTS FOR CONFERENCES
- Keep the conversation positive, open and professional.
- Listen to BOTH sides observations – Children can be very different in school than at home.
- Understand what is developmentally appropriate for the age of your child.
- Ask specific questions that will help you understand what skills and weaknesses your child needs to improve on and also what strengths he or she holds.
- Be sure to ask about your child’s social-emotional development – ask how they are relating to adults and other peers.
- Try to figure out together how best your child learns – what style learner they are.
- Ask about the next year – will your child be transitioning to a new group? How do you think he or she will manage that transition?
- Ask what skills your child will be working on in the next few months.
- Ask what you can focus on at home that will help in their development.
- Take notes and share with your spouse or other family caregivers so that all are on the same page.
End the conference on a positive note that commits to a TEAM approach – a true PARTNERSHIP!!!!